GAMEDAILY AND E-POLL RELEASE STUDY ON PURCHASING AND LIFESTYLE HABITS OF MAINSTREAM, CASUAL AND HARDCORE VIDEO GAMERS
San Francisco - June 22, 2004 - E-Poll and GameDAILY announced the release of their latest consumer study on the purchasing and lifestyle habits casual and hardcore video gamers. The survey was conducted by E-Poll, a market research firm in Los Angeles. Gamers were identified through the GameDAILY´s network of 130 affiliated sites and portals.
PR9.NET June 22, 2004 - A sample of the report findings include:
- Time spent on video gaming - Almost one in every four of the respondents play multiplayer games online at least six hours or more per week; while one in every five play video games with friends. The majority (66%), however, download a demo or watch video game trailers on a gaming website one to five hours per week.
- Gamers get exercise - Currently, over half (57%) of all respondents participate in physical activity three or more hours per week and 30% participate six or more hours per week. Over the next six months, 46% claiming that they will increase a lot/somewhat on their physical activities.
- Holiday Outlook - Gamers not only increased their video game purchases in the past year, but more importantly, over half plan to increase software spending and over one third plan to increase hardware spending over the next six months, into the 2004 holidays season.
- The most/least awaited products - Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) is capturing considerable interest, with nearly two-thirds (64%) of respondents very/somewhat interested in purchasing when it becomes available. On the other hand, less than 1 in 4 are very/somewhat interested in the NGage QD and almost half (46%) said they are not interested at all.
- More bang for the buck - Just like any smart shopper, gamers spend their dollar wisely. With 76% stating that price is very/somewhat important in deciding what game to buy, vendors should be very careful with their pricing strategies.
- Gamers Read More - Kids who play video games read more books on their own time. 80.8% of all gamers (78% males) surveyed are at least somewhat interested in reading (books, comics, magazines, newspapers). 25% spend 6 or more hours per week reading. 30% expect their reading time to increase in the next 6 months. "As more and more video games are played by mainstream and casual audiences, it will be imperative to collect additional consumer data for video game development and marketing," states Mark Friedler, CEO of GameDAILY. :No longer can we assume to know the identity of a video gamer. Our Family Guide, as an example, is being read by educators and parents looking for ways to direct children to age and content appropriate games. People who play video games are now "entertainment enthusiasts" facing a lot of competition from other entertainment options."
# # #
-Poll provides innovative market research services from methodology and questionnaire design to data processing and analysis. E-Poll delivers custom and syndicated research including secure media testing, concept testing, omnibus studies, program evaluation, and tracking studies all suited to accommodate tight budgets and strict deadlines. Access our proprietary panel with deep member profiles for highly targeted research or let us help you build and manage your own panel. Home of E-Score the leading celebrity awareness score measuring appeal and personality attributes - E-Poll services are utilized by Fortune 200 companies and nine of the Top 10 global media companies.
GameDaily is one of the leading video game publications on the Internet, serving the mainstream gaming audience at http://www.gamedaily.com and industry decision makers at http://biz.gamedaily.com. GameDaily reaches the coveted demographic of consumers ages 18 to 34, with a reach of over 4.5
million gamers each month through its flagship property and affiliated partners. The site delivers an innovative point of view on the multi-billion dollar interactive entertainment industry. The GameDaily Biz newsletter is the top video game trade publication read each morning by industry professionals and is available at http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/subscribe/. The Company, Gigex, Inc, was founded in 1995 and is privately held with offices in San Francisco and New York City. For more information, please contact: email@example.com.
|Recent News Headlines
|Industry Category of Current Press Release